Cheeseless Pizza? Challenge Accepted

A photo of a delicious looking cheese-less pizza that I found on the Internet
I can't decide which I miss more: ice cream, or cheese. At least with ice cream, there is a reasonable alternative that is cold and sweet: sorbet. There really is no good substitute for cheese. Oh, there is, you say? No. No, there is not.

I have yet to try to make a cheeseless pizza, since I've been forced to give up dairy, because it just seems too sad. Today, however, I was slightly encouraged by a delicious slice of veggie cheese-free pizza I had at Whole Foods. Tomato sauce and vegetables and a heavenly crust. I am inspired. There is hope.

So, I don't actually have a recipe to share just yet. I'm open to ideas. I'm searching the internet. And when I next have time to cook, I intend to experiment with some pizza dough, tomato sauce, pesto, sundried tomatoes, pepperoni, garlic, and other vegetables and meats.

I'm annoyed by most of the dairy-free pizza recipes I find online, because they all assume that dairy-free means vegan. I'm not vegan. Bring on the (hormone and antibiotic free, pasture raised, grass fed) meat.

In the meantime, here are links to some cheeseless pizza recipes I found, with my added commentary:

This one makes me so happy that I can have gluten. Cauliflower crust? Noooo thank you.

Raw vegan pizza? Please. That's not pizza. Eat it if you must; but don't call it pizza.

Hummus Pizza? I don't even know what to say to this person. Do not put hummus on pizza. Do not do that to people.

A-ha! I think this is the pizza I had at Whole Foods today. It sure sounds like it. This is the recipe I'm going to try.

Come to think of it, I guess any pizza recipe could be made without cheese. Except, maybe, cheese pizza.

Comments

  1. Right. Previous comment gone.
    It's something like this:
    Naan (preferably homemade, but that's it's own process)
    Bruschetta salsa mixed with a little garlic pickle.
    Optional: A bit of grated vegan parmesan for stickiness only, I gather it doesn't taste like much.
    Thinly sliced grilled eggplant - it's easier to eat if you then cut the egglplant into 1" squares
    Thinly sliced tandoori chicken or other lightly curried meat. Of course, this assumes you've gone to the trouble recently of cooking a tandoori chicken or other lightly curried meat - my suggestion is to make this recipe a day or two after you've done the meat.
    Grilled onions would also be a nice touch.

    And cook the way you normally would - I'm guessing 15 minutes at 300 or so
    should do it. YMMV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fast and Furious Food

Raspberry Sorbet with Coconut Cream