Raspberry Sorbet with Coconut Cream

I am currently dairy-free, most definitely NOT by choice, so I'm doing what I can to fill the sad ice cream void in my life. I liked sorbet before I went dairy-free, but always thought of it as a decidedly different food than ice cream. That is still true, but I've become a little creative with toppings to get closer to that ice cream happy place.



This is just a scoop of raspberry sorbet topped with coconut cream and raw chopped walnuts. Coconut cream is basically coconut milk but the creamy, higher fat part of it. It comes in many brands, and is sometimes labeled as coconut milk or culinary coconut milk. Just make sure it has around 14 grams of fat per 1/3 cup or something like that, and it only takes a drizzle to make this deliciously rich and creamy. Well, at least for me, on my sadly dairy free diet! I have yet to appreciate the soy, rice or other dairy alternative ice creams. Maybe that will come with time. For now, they just taste like impostors.

Chocolate chips, or chocolate in any form, would also make a fine topping. I'd also like to try toasted, shredded coconut or toasted almonds instead of walnuts. Today I used Trader Joe's brand raspberry sorbet, which is quite nice, but Ciao Bella makes some decadent sorbet flavors like Blackberry Cabernet, Sicilian Blood Orange, and (Heavens to Murgatroyd) Pear Hibiscus?!? Lie to me, sorbet. Make me forget about ice cream.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fast and Furious Food

Cheeseless Pizza? Challenge Accepted