Mango Soft Serve

Banana Soft Serve
I don't recall where I first heard of the idea of pureeing frozen fruit to a soft serve ice cream consistency. I had tried it once or twice at home awhile ago but then sort of forgot about it. Then, this summer I was in Denver and had some banana soft serve from a food truck called Ba-Nom-a-Nom that was delicious! You could get other fruits mixed in and choose from many healthy toppings. I had plain banana topped with coconut and enjoyed it on a bench in Civic Center Park.




Back home in the summer heat, I wanted to make this for the kids, who both love mango. I tried both plain mango and a combination of mango and banana, using my small Ninja blender.


I found that it works best to add some frozen yogurt and a little liquid (juice or kefir milk) for consistency and easier blending. My kids both prefer the mango version, and here is our recipe. (Don't tell Molly. She says it is a secret.)





In your blender, mix 1/2 cup mango nectar, 1 cup frozen vanilla yogurt, and 2 cups frozen mangos. You might need to blend about half of it first, to get the rest to blend. Blend until it is the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Serve right away. Makes 2 servings. Suggested toppings: chocolate chips (Molly's favorite), coconut, nuts, berries. Some people like to top with flavored syrups.


A dairy-free version is to leave out the yogurt and add a little more juice, or you could use some sorbet or frozen Rice Dream in place of the yogurt. I prefer adding a little raspberry sorbet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fast and Furious Food

Another Cooking Blog!

Cheeseless Pizza? Challenge Accepted